Gus Brown Band puts the ‘FUN’ into funky
The Gus Brown band takes to the Sunday Beat stage on Sunday 13 March 2016 at 14h00. This performance is guaranteed to have everyone on their feet and grooving! If you haven’t yet heard them, you don’t want to miss this performance.
The Warner Beach-based band describes their music style as Folk, Funky and Original and they throw in a few unexpected cover songs too!
The group consists of the original guitar-playing brothers – Dale and Nick – joined by lead singer Gavin. A reshuffle in the line-up now sees Chad Porter (bass and vocals) and Brett Kenton (drums, guitar, vocals, and xylophone) join the band.
Originally formed in 2012 the talented muso’s are well-known on the local music scene. They have been on the bill at various music festivals in KZN and opened for Jeremy Loops in Durban and Prime Circle in Cape Town.
Things you may not know about the band:
- Gus Brown is the name of the road where the band first started jamming together in the early days – it’s not a band member!
- Gavin Welsh’s granny taught him to play guitar
- Gavin is also a force to be reckoned with in the kitchen and made it to the top 100 in the first Masterchef SA
- The original trademark Gus Brown gorilla cartoon was drawn by Dale Vickery as a fun sketch
- Nick Vickery was inspired to take up the guitar after hearing Green Day’s “Basket Case”
- Brett Kenton’s first drumming attempts was on an African drum as a child
- Chad Porter taught himself to play guitar, at the age of 12, by sitting and watching other musicians play and then just practicing every day
- Chad can also do a pretty good “Freddie” imitation when singing “Bohemian Rhapsody”.
Get on down to SUNCOAST’S amphitheatre on Sunday! Sunday Beats are free and great family entertainment. The good vibes start at 14h00.
ABOUT SUNCOAST CASINO, HOTELS AND ENTERTAINMENT:
Influenced by the Art Deco style of Miami South Beach, SUNCOAST Casino, Hotels & Entertainment is Durban’s leading gamer-tainment destination. It boasts unparalleled atmosphere from its location on Durban’s stretch of palm-lined beaches known as the Golden Mile and is within walking distance of the iconic Moses Mabhida Stadium.
Winner of the BMW Supertech KZN Top Business Award – Tourism Category 2014, voted KwaZulu-Natal’s “Best Casino” for the 13th year running, in the 2016 Daily News Your Choice Awards, the 2014 Ask Afrika Orange Index customer service award winning in the Casino Industry category, and recipient of the 2016 certificate of excellence by TripAdvisor.
SUNCOAST Casino, Hotels and Entertainment continues to be an integral part of the Durban entertainment scene.
SUNCOAST has a gaming floor of over 7,000m2, with coinless SMART technology, 1,600 slot machines, 67 gaming tables, and an exclusive Salon Prive called 77 Ocean Drive for higher limit slots and tables.
SUNCOAST opens onto a boardwalk which links to uShaka Marine World to the south and Moses Mabhida stadium and Blue Lagoon to the north.
There is a superb grassed area between SUNCOAST and the beach offering loungers and umbrellas for the beachgoer.
The SUNCOAST Durban complex also offers 5-star conference and eventing venues plus superior accommodation at the sea-facing Suncoast Towers and SunSquare Suncoast with its Balinese-style spa and stylish Jeera Restaurant.
SUNCOAST Casino, Hotels & Entertainment is owned by Tsogo Sun Gaming.