Suncoast Graduate Development Programme – Equipping the Youth with Industry Knowledge and Experience
Durban’s premier entertainment destination, Suncoast Casino, Hotels & Entertainment will once again offer hopeful graduates an extensive 12 month work experience programme in the fields of Human Resources, IT, Surveillance and Slots Technicians, when applications open in January 2017.
“We are looking for graduates who are hungry for work place experience and knowledge within their field of work. The candidates have to be hard-working, be able to work in a team and most important of all, want to be a part of the Suncoast family” says Suncoast Recruitment Consultant, Tracy Borland.
She goes on to say, “With economic growth for 2016 recently revised to 0.5% and youth unemployment sitting at almost 50%, I believe that many youth will want to take advantage of such programmes as they let them have one foot in the door. Our current crop of graduates have gone passed the half-way mark of their contracts and taking advantage of every opportunity they get to further develop their work place skills and industry knowledge, says Borland”.
Suncoast’s Graduate Development Programme has been successfully running for ten years and has employed a total of 95 graduates from various institutions and fields of study. The current programme for 2016 has enrolled four graduates in the fields of Finance and IT from the Durban University of Technology and Richfield Graduate Institute of Technology.
These graduates are Nombuso Gumede (30) from Durban central and Ayanda Shabalala (22) from Umlazi E Section who both graduated from the Durban University of Technology with National Diplomas in Accounting and Kwanele Mbelu (25) a Computer Service Technician from Umlazi and Xolani Hlongwa (24) from Illovo; an IT Management graduates both from Richfield Graduate Institute of Technology.
Nombuso Gumede who is currently in the Finance Department says “I have learnt a lot mostly accounts clerk duties; I can say that I’m fit to hold an Accounts Clerk position and I am looking forward to completing this internship and hopefully work at Suncoast on a permanent basis”
According to AllAboutCareers.com, these are a few reasons why work experience and similar programmes are so important:
- Young people are more likely to be successful in their job hunt if they have done some good work experience.
- If you haven’t got a clue what career you want to do, work experience is a perfect way to sample all the career options out there.
- It’s the best way to get a real sense of your chosen industry. You’ll get to speak to employees and ask them questions.
- Doing work experience shows passion and interest. Evidence that you have done work experience shows the employer that you are motivated to get into a chosen career and that you’ve done your homework.
- Work experience gently introduces you to the world of work. You get to learn the dos and don’ts, get work place savvy and learn to navigate your way through the jungle of office politics.
- It’ll help you identify your own skills and perhaps even highlight the areas that you might want to work on.
- It’s all about networking. It’ll help you build up contacts and, you never know they might even give you a heads up about a future job or recommend you to another company.
- And yes, work experience does give you something to put on your CV!
Graduates looking to apply for the Suncoast Graduate Programme for 2017 need to keep an eye out for the opening of the applications process in the Careers section of Suncoast’s website, suncoastcasino.co.za.
ABOUT SUNCOAST CASINO, HOTELS AND ENTERTAINMENT:
Influenced by the Art Deco style of Miami South Beach, SUNCOAST Casino, Hotels & Entertainment is Durban’s leading gamer-tainment destination. It boasts unparalleled atmosphere from its location on Durban’s stretch of palm-lined beaches known as the Golden Mile and is within walking distance of the iconic Moses Mabhida Stadium.
Winner of the BMW Supertech KZN Top Business Award – Tourism Category 2014, voted KwaZulu-Natal’s “Best Casino” for the 13th year running, in the 2016 Daily News Your Choice Awards, the 2014 Ask Afrika Orange Index customer service award winning in the Casino Industry category, and recipient of the 2016 certificate of excellence by TripAdvisor.
SUNCOAST Casino, Hotels and Entertainment continues to be an integral part of the Durban entertainment scene.
SUNCOAST has a gaming floor of over 7,000m2, with coinless SMART technology, 1,600 slot machines, 67 gaming tables, and an exclusive Salon Prive called 77 Ocean Drive for higher limit slots and tables.
SUNCOAST opens onto a boardwalk which links to uShaka Marine World to the south and Moses Mabhida stadium and Blue Lagoon to the north.
There is a superb grassed area between SUNCOAST and the beach offering loungers and umbrellas for the beachgoer.
The SUNCOAST Durban complex also offers 5-star conference and eventing venues plus superior accommodation at the sea-facing Suncoast Towers and SunSquare Suncoast with its Balinese-style spa and stylish Jeera Restaurant.
SUNCOAST Casino, Hotels & Entertainment is owned by Tsogo Sun Gaming.