With the Doorstep Campaign, SUNCOAST has a made a significant difference to the lives of many underprivileged groups over the past years.
Under the guidance of the Group CSI Strategy, in 2009, SUNCOAST has selected Vukukhanye Community Upliftment Initiatives, a public benefit organisation based in Chesterville, as our new primary charity.
Vukukhanye was formed in October 2001 in response to the serious threat to child and family welfare caused by the HIV/Aids epidemic in the historically disadvantaged area of Chesterville, in Cato Manor.
Headed by CEO Anthony van der Meulen, Vukukhanye's strategic focus is the holistic development of the community of Chesterville, and areas of concern include HIV/Aids; Orphans and Vulnerable Children; Early Childhood Development; Youth and Adult Education and Development and Community Safety and Development.
Their socio economic development initiatives include:
- Feeding schemes
- The establishment of the Zamokuhle & Bamba Izandla creches
- Adult Literacy Training
- Skills Training and Income Generation Projects
- A Rape Crisis Centre
- A Disabled People's Support Group as well as
- An HIV/Aids education and care via the Chesterville Satellite Hospice
Since 2001 their activities have included:
- The care of orphans and vulnerable children (affected and infected by HIV/Aids), primarily through the operation of a "Children's Transition/Foster Home" which has cared for over 50 children to date - Community based child and caregiver support
- HIV/Aids prevention / training programmes as well as the support of preschools in Chesterville
SUNCOAST's partnership with Vukukhanye seeks to intervene at the social, environmental and law enforcement levels and a number of community based-projects have been identified and are in various stages of implementation ie:
- Identify eight potential beneficiaries for a School and Tertiary Bursary in the following categories:
The Bursaries will include school fees as well as financial support for other expenses as.
Identify and enrol 100 children into Vukukhanyeªs Sport For All Project while also identifying the scope for sponsorship of sports equipment and gear to the Sport For All Project
As part of SUNCOAST's Employee Services CUP initiative, to actively involve SUNCOAST staff in Vukukhanye's activities with the children and schools, including outings; assistance with maintenance of school buildings; One Stop Centre and sporting grounds and facilities
Two at Junior Primary (Grade 1)
Two at Senior Primary (Grade 5)
Two at High School (Grade 8)
Two at Tertiary Level (Grade 12)
SUNCOAST aims to touch and cover all these aspects by providing support structure through staff involvement as well as funding, encouraging and growing the programme as well as the community.